Skip to main content

Why Self Reflection Is Important

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle I adore stationery. As a child, I used to spend hours in stationery shops longing to buy all the notepads and pens that adorned the shelves. As an adult, I do buy more stationery than I probably should and when I came across self-reflection journals, I became truly addicted. When I was tidying my house recently, I found some old journals and flicked through them. It’s so good to read through and see the thoughts and feelings I was having back then, it’s really interesting to see how much I have grown over the years. I complete my self-reflection journal each morning when I get up and each evening before I go to bed. I try my best to make sure each morning and evening is filled in, even if it’s a bit later than anticipated and I do take it away with me on holidays. After spending a lot of time scouring the internet, I chose the 6-minutediary for my next journal for the following reasons: It’s split into morning and evening reflection, I think it is good to reflect on your mood first thing and then the last thing at night, sometimes there is a big difference and by reflecting on this, you can learn how to improve your days in the future. There is a section in the morning to list 3 things you are grateful for. Gratitude can be life-changing, there is always something to be grateful for and for me, practising gratitude increases positivity and feeling positive can, and has led me to so many amazing things. You also list how you can make the day great. This is the same as setting an intention for the day, which gives me focus for the day. The last thing you do in the morning is writing an affirmation. I have previously struggled with speaking affirmations as I felt weird about talking to myself! Writing affirmations is a lot better for me and I have a few lists of positive affirmations I like to use pinned above my computer screen for inspiration. There is a daily inspirational quote, or if it’s the 1st day of your week, a weekly challenge. In the evenings, you write a good deed for today. I am often surprised at how I am always able to fill this in, sometimes, we don’t see things we do as good deeds but most people do at least one small thing each day. There is a section to say how you will improve. This is not for you to compare yourself to others, but to what you have been doing in the previous months/days/weeks. It could be as simple as saying you will be kinder to yourself going forward. And lastly, you list 3 things that went well that day. This is such a positive way to end the day and rather than going to bed thinking about all the things that went wrong, which we often do, you go to bed thinking about all the good there was in that day, it’s surprising just how much there is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Success The Thing That Scares Us? Or Is It Failure We Really Fear?

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill If you fear failure, the above quote from Winston Churchill can be seen as comforting, failing at something can be a huge blow to our egos. But what if you aren't scared to fail? What if succeeding is the thing that scares you most? Failure is something that some of us are quite prepared for. Before we've even set out to do something, that voice in your head is already saying "it probably won't work out". We often prepare ourselves for the worst outcome to protect our fragile egos. If we fail, things will stay as they are and whether we are happy with our current situation or not, it is a lot easier to stay in a familiar situation. Of course, we don't want to fail, we'll feel rubbish about it, sometimes it means we can't do the things we had hoped for at the time, but ultimately, nothing has changed, and we can usually fall back into our old routin...

3 Small Intentions I’m Setting This Week To Energise Me After My Holiday

Revisit my routine After 2 weeks away and being 5 hours behind, everything is a little up in the air. There are things I want to remove from my routine and things I would like to add. Exercise I started using the FIIT app before I went away so I want to get back to that. All that walking around made me realise I need to improve my fitness. Writing articles I write every day but just for my personal blog, I want to write some articles so that when I make pitches they’re ready to go. I plan to work very hard this week! What are your intentions? ❤️

The uninvited chimp

So I have spent the last few days feeling really sorry for myself. My mojo is creeping back but that little negative voice in my head aka Barry, is back for a visit and I didn't bloody invite him. I have my first ever cold sore, which I am convinced everyone is staring at. I can feel it growing like its its own person, I shall name him Colin if this carries on much longer. I don't feel like I have lost any weight or inches coming to the end of cycle one, even though I have still drank a fair amount of booze and had a few takeaways so probably shouldnt be surprised. This is making me panic as I have a hen do, a wedding and a girls weekend away coming up in about 6 weeks and everything I wear makes me look like a bound up piece of meat I havent slept very well for the last few nights which I think is making my head whirl, it's just constant chatter in my head: "Dont forget to...." "What if .... happens?" "Why did .... do/say that?" and the very p...